CARING FOR OUR PEOPLE TRAINING
We offer a series of four workshops on care for Native Americans with disabilities and chronic illness. These include:
- Introduction to Disability & Culture - for staff working with individuals with disabilities in and out of school. This training prepares staff to better assist individuals and their families with special education needs, balancing a social life, finding assistance for everything from wheelchairs to employment.
- Early Childhood Intervention - covers Individual Family Service Plans, behavior problems, teaching personal care, developmental stimulation and modifications in the preschool classroom.
- Special Education - this module is a must for parents and educators alike, as it focuses on educational, personal and social issues for school age children with disabilities.
- Vocational Rehabilitation - is aimed at helping people become independent. We discuss finding employment at any age, leaving home, relationships, self-advocacy, finding independence again after acquiring a disability in adulthood, and finding mentors and others who will help you succeed. We also address the difficulties issues in parenting youth with disabilities.
FAMILY LIFE & DISABILITY
We offer three workshops, based on the five modules available on our website. These workshops are:
- Empowering Ourselves and Our Families: focuses on the services available to people with disabilities, their rights, and how to find just about anything you need to know by using the Disability Access CD-ROM, which you will receive for free
- Family Life and Disability: provides information and solutions to common problems for people with disabilities and their families. These include coping with diagnosis, behavior problems, becoming independent, substance abuse, and sexuality
- Adulthood and Aging: a workshop geared towards elders and those who care for them. We face issues such as adjusting to a disability after a lifetime of independence, accepting care, making sure you get the care you or a family member needs, death, dying, and living as healthily as possible.