Spirit Lake Consulting Forum

Making life better in disadvantaged communities - our thoughts on everything - from Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-10 15:27:00

jessica

Waiting for doctors ...

I am so frustrated!  I have been seeing a very good, very famous neurosurgeon for a medical issue I am having.  I have to wait over a month within making the appt to see him and then when I do, I usually have to wait between 4-5 hours to see him, then the visit is only for less than 5 minutes.  If I think of any questions to ask him later, I have to wait another month.  Thank God for his nurse practictioner.  What if something was really, desperately wrong and he wouldn't know because it takes so long for him to look at my files?
Has anyone else experienced this?  Am I being selfish - I AM lucky to have him as a doctor ... Is it better to have personal attention versus a high-profile doctor?

#2 2007-04-11 01:30:56

annmaria
Administrator

Re: Waiting for doctors ...

He sounds like a supreme jerk to me. Whenever I have a doctor who makes me wait like that, I change to another doctor who isn't a jerk. Believe it or not, there are really good doctors who are not extraordinarily arrogant to the point they consider it acceptable to make people wait five hours.

#3 2007-04-14 22:35:18

serra2

Sometimes if you live in a small place there is not much choice in doctors. If it is something that might be serious I think it is worth the effort to change doctors even if you have to travel a long way. Part of being a good doctor to me is taking the time to answer your questions.

#4 2007-04-17 15:50:18

Bree

I understand your frustration Jessica. I don't have a high profile doctor but I did use the Indian Health Service (IHS) clinic here on the reservation when my daughter was ill. Not only did they make us wait for over 3 hours but the doctor ended up giving my daughter cough syrup and motrin for her fever. I could've just as well went to Wal-mart and bought that stuff myself. And I know what you mean about having to wait a month if you have a question after leaving from the doctor. It seems like my mind goes blank when the doctor asks me if I have any concerns. If your condition is pretty serious, I would really suggest that you write down any concerns that you have so that you can remember them before your next appointment and make sure that he addresses them even if it takes more than 5 minutes. There is nothing wrong with being assertive especially when it involves your health!!! Take care.

#5 2007-04-17 19:38:03

jessica

It makes me upset that a lot of people experience matters such as this, especially since our health is so important!!  And health insurance ... don't even get me started on that!

#6 2007-05-31 02:13:52

Ella

I have had problems like this in the hospital.

About two months ago, I had what I thought to be a spider bite on my right knuckle. My arm hurt terribly in the morning, but I practice karate, so figured I had tweaked it in fighting class the night before. However, by the time I went to class that night, the vein running up my arm was swollen and red and visible.

I went to the ER, and waited for THREE hours. I would have left 3 times if I did not have a friend with me insisted I stay. I figured, it's not that big of a deal, or they would have seen me by now.

They finally get around to seeing me, and as soon as they do, start giving me shots of antibiotics and tetnus shots and all these other things. Turned out I had a really contageous staph infection. If I hadn't stayed I would have gotten sicker and sicker.

#7 2007-11-10 20:28:46

jessm

That is a really scary story, things like this do happen unfortunately.  It makes me so mad!!  It's all about finding the right hospital and doctor, I think.  I have an excellent specialty doctor now - he is the chief surgeon at the top third ranked hospital in his specialty and is very high-profile, yet he saw me 15 minutes early for my appt and we even had email contact.  He is very personal with his patients, which is so great.  I'm very grateful to have met him ... it just takes some research and patience when switching from doctor to doctor to hospital to center ...

Board footer