Spirit Lake Consulting Forum

Making life better in disadvantaged communities - our thoughts on everything - from Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-17 15:55:32

A-mom

Patience when your child has a disability

I had a teacher in fourth grade who always said Patience is a Virtue. She would be proud of me now I bet.

My daughter is doing good again. She got another job. I wanted to thank thoose people who wrote me after she lost the last one. Its Sunday morninng and I am thinking the most important thing for when you have a child with a disability is patience. Even though the law says Amy is an adult now there are a lot of times she just makes the most wrong decisions. When she does something just stupid like quits a job because they won't let her have Friday night off to go to a party she just wants to go to it makes me want to scream.

I remind myself that she did not want to be born like this and she is a loving person with a lot of good thingss about her. That keeps me patient when she comes by the next week crying about not having any money and having her phone turned off.

#2 2007-06-18 13:08:40

jessica

Re: Patience when your child has a disability

Congratulations!  It is definitely hard to have patience, especially when you care about someone so much and just want them to be happy.  As long as there is a support system around, getting through struggles such as this will be that much easier.  Being young and committing to a job is pretty difficult - you are making the move into committing yourself to a new, "adult" life and that can be challenging for any young person.  To help her, you can find little positivities about her job and make it an exciting thing to do.

Board footer