Spirit Lake Consulting Forum

Making life better in disadvantaged communities - our thoughts on everything - from Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-04 23:20:11

annmaria
Administrator

Resource on Vision Impairment and cooking

A recent study on Women, Health and Aging noted that cooking was one of the areas where many older women with disabilities continued to take responsibility. Even among the more disabled group, most of the women over 65 studied were responsible for cooking the family meals. As elders are more likely to have vision problems, how can they continue to cook, a past time which is important for both nutrition and a sense of contributing to the household?  We highly recommend you download this free cookbook on cooking with visual impairment. Not only does it have some funny moments, like when the guests mistook the weevils in her flour for rye, but it also has some really good recipes and advice on everything from shopping to organizing your kitchen. It is both a cookbook and stories about dealing with loss of vision without losing your independence.

#2 2007-09-06 15:04:31

annmaria
Administrator

Re: Resource on Vision Impairment and cooking

Sorry, I forgot to post the link!

The book is called Cooking with feeling and you can download it here

http://www.savorypalette.org/cookingwithfeeling.htm

#3 2007-09-14 23:48:40

Willie

I checked it out and as a single person with a disability their are things in it that can help me plan a better meal. Not to mention the benefits a person with a visual impairment could receive.

#4 2007-11-12 15:04:53

jessm

This book looks really good - only another example that impairments do not have to run your life!  Does anyone have any other links to share that are similar to this book?

Board footer