Spirit Lake Consulting Forum

Making life better in disadvantaged communities - our thoughts on everything - from Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-28 18:10:00

annmaria
Administrator

STRENGTHS OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

From our workshop-in-progress on Adults with Learning Disabilities ...

One of the strengths of Native Americans with disabilities who live on reservations is they tend to have more family members living near them and relationships with their relatives tend to be closer. Although you may get the response, "You have to say that, you're my auntie," the fact is that by adulthood, people with LD have experienced many failures and too many messages about what they can't do. Focusing on a person's strengths is important, and not just once, but repeatedly.

#2 2007-08-28 18:26:16

A-mom

Re: STRENGTHS OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

My daughter is really forgiving. She would be good working somewhere like Wal-Mart or Dairy Queen. Even if someone  come in a bad mood and hollers at her one day the next she'd be like it never happened. Me I would tell them to get there own dam ice cream.

She can put up with really difficiult people so a job with old people that can sometimes complain alot would be good for her too.

#3 2007-08-28 18:28:55

joe

Mom is a great cook

#4 2007-08-28 23:21:57

Willie

What I have learned over the years in working with family members and or guardians of persons with disabilities or special needs. Is that you can tell them things, but they will forget. So, what I have done is write up all the information (in a letter form) that I feel they need to know about how I can help their child. Give them detailed explanations and always close with a thank you message, contact information and sincerely signature. Just as Annmaria mentioned it is best to focus on the strengths of how you can help the person.

Last edited by Willie (2007-08-28 23:22:39)

#5 2007-08-29 13:38:49

Rina210

Different people have different strengths. One woman can't hardly walk or do much any more but she speaks our tribal language better than anybody I know.

A man I know can barely read. I know its bad to say but I think he is mentally retarded. The family says he is just slow. He is one of the best grass dancers I know.

Another woman has a lot of illnesses like diabetes and asthma and a learning disability but she is kind and patient with our elders.

#6 2007-11-10 19:31:06

jessm

I think that having a disability has the ability to strengthen your character.  Struggles only make people stronger - a sad, but hopeful fact.

Board footer