Spirit Lake Consulting Forum

Making life better in disadvantaged communities - our thoughts on everything - from Spirit Lake Consulting, Inc.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 13:26:02

annmaria
Administrator

Getting your child to mind, getting their attention

Help! This is for the early childhood module we are doing next week.
Anyone who can add more ideas below, it would be greatly appreciated. My brain seems to be on slow motion this morning.

Getting Your Child to Mind: Five Ways to Capture Attention

1. Touch your child on the shoulder and when he looks up at you, tell him what it is you want him to do. We don't mean grab him by the shoulder in some kind of Vulcan death grip. Sorry, we don't mean to be rude, but unless you are inhumanly perfect, it is tempting to do that when your child is ignoring you. Also, we recommend this when you want his attention for good things, too, like time to go visit his cousins or a snack is on the table. The last thing you want is your child always associating your touch with something bad.

2. Kneel down directly in front of your child, eye level, look into his eyes and say what it is you want him to do in a firm, not loud, voice.

3. Pick him up, put him on your lap and then tell him what you want him to do.

4. Use a signal, such as snapping your fingers or waving in front of his face. Many teachers who have a class full of children will turn the lights on and off to get the child's attention. We haven't tried that at home, but you could. Let us know if it works for you.

5. If the child is having a tantrum on the floor, sit down next to him and speak to him softly about what is upsetting him. While we have seen some parents look at us skeptically when we suggest this, mostly those parents of the old school, 'I would whack him on the bottom', please think of it another way. Think about a time when you were really upset. You found out your boyfriend was cheating on you, just lost a job or were told you had to move out of your apartment. Now imagine someone came in at that point and ordered you to get up and wash the dishes in the kitchen. How would you feel about that person? How likely would it be that you would actually wash the dishes? And it doesn't make any difference if you were being kicked out of your apartment because you hadn't paid the rent or lost your job for missing work. The fact is, you were upset. Your child is a person, too. Handle whatever he is upset about first, then have him put on his snowsuit.

#2 2007-07-18 13:41:16

jessica

Re: Getting your child to mind, getting their attention

6.  Keep your child's favorite toy on hand and use it to distract the child and get his/her attention over to you.

#3 2007-07-18 15:05:20

Willie

7. Use positive affirmations, such as: I know you can do better than that! You are a good boy! You know that God is watching over you and knows when you are being good or bad. This is how I grew up and remember how it relates to my spirtuality today. I also, use this in disciplining my nephews or nieces.

Last edited by Willie (2007-07-18 15:05:59)

#4 2007-07-26 15:29:35

carla-n-crystal

snapping fingers to let them know you want there attention.

#5 2007-07-26 15:29:47

maynard

speak to the child.

#6 2007-07-26 15:29:55

candace

my son has a very haed time paying attention to anything and what seems to work with getting his attention is that  my son is fascinated by dinosaurs so if you talk about dinosaurs or tell him stories about dinosaurs then it usually helps you to keep his attention or to keep him occupied

#7 2007-07-26 15:31:02

fred

try to get their attention by seeing exactly what the problem is such as why are they mad exactly.  If it is something that is being fought over like a toy, take the toy from the room and distract them with something else

#8 2007-07-26 15:31:05

Megan

Well you can go up to them and try to  get there attention.  You can also say there name medium and clear.  You can do something or give them something thats fimiliar with them. If that don't help then you can go tap them on the shoulder and say can i get your attention just for one minute.

#9 2007-07-26 15:31:18

wanda

talk to the child

#10 2007-07-26 15:31:32

Sandra

If I need to get my sons attention and he is not responding because he is watching cartoons, I will shut off the T.V or put the T.V on  mute.  This always gets his attention then.

#11 2007-07-26 15:32:08

pepper and brenda

clapping your hands
whistling
calling their name

#12 2007-07-26 15:32:33

Barbara Peltier & ReNae B

If the child had a tantrum, I would get down on the floor and have a tantrum too.  I predict that he would probably stop and look at me and then I would have a smile.  Then we would discuss the behavior toether and more appropriate ways of getting what they want.  Now if it was a toy, but it didn't belong to him, then I would teach the child to ask the owner of the toy if he could play with it a little while.  Sometimes we could use a timer to have chlildren take turns with playing.

#13 2007-07-26 15:32:36

fred

talk about something they are interested in

#14 2007-07-26 15:32:41

april

Hey my boy or my gurl come here.

Take them on the side and calmly talk to them and let them know what is going on or what is wrong.

#15 2007-07-26 15:33:33

david

Talk quietly to the child

#16 2007-07-26 15:34:05

fred

myson has a very bad temper.the only way i could handle him. when his dad  is around.

#17 2007-07-26 15:34:09

nathan

use soft voice and keep eye contact

#18 2007-07-26 15:34:12

Pamela

I usually grab a toy or start playing a game of peek-a-boo.

#19 2007-07-26 15:34:39

john

1  talk to them face to face gently  2  have a runtine with them  3  dont single them out

#20 2007-07-26 15:37:43

june

clap your hands to get their attentions

#21 2007-07-26 15:37:51

marletta

Make eye contact, and make sure you are directly in front of them.

#22 2007-07-26 15:38:05

ReNae B

Sometimes as an adult I feel I have adhd like my daughter and she needs to get my attention.  Her method has been to repeat mom over and over until I respond not only with a what but also direct eye contact too.

#23 2007-07-26 15:38:41

Carla and Crystal

Use the stop and think method. Ask them are you making a good choice or a bad choice?

#24 2007-07-26 15:39:12

tia

The way i get my child's attention is by calling them by their nicknames, and do little silly things with them .

Board footer