Caring for Our People with Disabilities and Health Care Needs

Social Service, Health & Information Resources


Child Abuse Hotline 1-800-SOS-CHILD OR 1-888-767-2245. Children with disabilities have a greater risk of child abuse. This line is answered by Child Protective Service 24-hours-a-day. You can report child abuse. You can also talk to someone when you have just had it with your child and are completely out of patience. They will give you good advice on how to deal with your feelings, referrals for services, or just sympathize with you for a few minutes while you get control of yourself.


Medicaid provides free health care programs to children and adults. In North Dakota, you must apply for SSI and Medicaid separately. You can find information about applying for Medicaid at all County Social Services offices.

Healthy Steps is a North Dakota program that provides health care coverage for children 18 and under from families who do not qualify for Medicaid.

bookshelf Information on Family Resources in the Virtual Library

For a much more extensive reference on resources for families of persons with disabilities, you can click here to download the 110-page resource guide generously provided by the University of North Dakota. Here you will find information on every imaginable service from child care for children with disabilities to payment for specialty health care to senior companions.This guide focuses on North Dakota but also includes some national organizations. Contact information (phone, address, and email) is included for North Dakota offices.

For a short directory of resources available in North Dakota, click here for a resource guide produced by the Turtle Mountain Disabilities Coalition.

blue HOME icon Back to Introduction Home Page blue next arrow

Next: North Dakota Disability Services Division